The project attempts to meet ICT needs that will level the playing field of learners with visual impairments in gaining math competencies aligned with the elementary and secondary education curriculum. Along with the learners educated in the inclusive setting, their teachers will also benefit from the outcome of the project.
The educational math platform PlatMat (more details…) is the foundation for the projected EuroMath model. PlatMat was developed as a result of two research projects conducted between 2014 and 2017. The PlatMat supports math instruction and is available only for the Polish learners and teachers. It received two awards at international innovation contest (Tell Us Awards, ITEX 2015).
Teachers and learners who are blind or have low vision attending elementary and secondary education in Poland, the Netherlands and Ireland will participate in the project. Representatives of institutions and organizations that serve people with visual impairments in mainstream and special education, research and innovation institutes will also be involved in the project.
Project Activities will be conducted in a close partnership with teachers and their learners with visual impairments in Partner countries to ensure the results meet particular needs and expectations of the target groups. The quality and usability of the EuroMath tools will be verified by the end users during assessment and validation activities and the workshops on features and functions of EuroMath.
The following intellectual outputs will be created in the project:
- Knowledge base about assistive technology and ICT tools in math education of learners with visual impairments in inclusive settings in Poland, the Netherlands, Ireland and neighboring countries.
- EuroMath model – its structure, functions and technical documentation.
- Implementation of EuroMath model – a set of EuroMath tools in three languages (Polish, English, Dutch).
- Repository of interactive math content as an Open Educational Resources (OER) in three languages (Polish, English, Dutch).
- A complete set of EuroMath Quick Start Guides (as part of OER).
The project is expected to increase the inclusion of ICT support to educational practice and to raise the implementation of digital support to math instruction as best educational practices.